The Jewish Day School of Metropolitan Seattle is a Jewish community day school serving more than 225 students and 160 families. The lovely seven acre campus is located east of downtown Seattle, in the Crossroads area of Bellevue. Our youngest students are 3 year olds in our Early Childhood classrooms and our program goes through the end of Middle School - 8th Grade.
JDS was founded in 1980 by a small group of community leaders who longed to provide an exceptional values-based, 'whole child' education to be delivered in a Jewish environment and made available to every child regardless of Jewish lineage. The region’s first “community” day school opened as a K-2 in the former Temple de Hirsch facility in Bellevue with 32 students and moved to its current facility, a former Bellevue elementary school campus, in the mid-1980s. Today, our sprawling campus includes a new STEM Innovation Lab, a state of the art Athletic Center and wonderful play and exploratory areas.
Interim Head of School: Mike Downs
Grades Served: Early Childhood through 8th Grade
Number of Students: 224
School Colors: Blue and white
Tagline: Where study leads to action. (from the Talmud)
Who are we?
- Students come from 29 different Puget Sound zip codes.
- Students are from Canada, Europe, Israel, Africa, Asia, Russia, and Central & South America
- Students speak French, German, Russian, Spanish and Hebrew
- 72% of our student body is unaffiliated with a synagogue or temple.
- Of those affiliated, 15% are reform, 7% are orthodox and 4% are conservative.